GTM Squared will live-stream California’s Distributed Energy Future 2016 conference from San Francisco on Wednesday, March 16. Join Squared today to tune into the event and watch the archived video on demand.
In addition to this live stream, GTM Squared members will get access to all GTM event broadcasts in 2016, which include Solar Summit 2016, Grid Edge World Forum, U.S. Solar Market Insight 2016, and many more. Click here to join GTM Squared and get insights on energy markets that you can’t get anywhere else.
Live Stream Agenda: Wednesday, March 16 (all times PDT)
9:00 a.m.-9:30 a.m. GTM Research Keynote: California and the Distributed Energy Transformation
Drawing upon data and analysis from GTM’s solar, energy storage and grid edge research teams, Shayle Kann will place California within the context of the national transition toward a distributed energy system.
- Shayle Kann, Senior Vice President, GTM Research
9:30 a.m.-10:00 a.m. Fireside Chat: Setting the Stage for CDEF
A one-on-one interview covering California’s largest utility’s views on distributed energy, the ongoing regulatory proceedings, and the future of the grid.
- Steve Malnight, Senior Vice President, Regulatory Affairs, PG&E
- Moderator: Tony Brunello, President & Founder, More Than Smart
10:00 a.m.-10:45 a.m. Keynote Panel: Distributed Energy Resources as Grid Assets
California is at the forefront of the push to consider distributed energy resources as assets to the grid. On this panel, leading experts discuss the benefits and challenges of shifting the lens through which distributed energy is viewed, and how markets must adjust to enable this transformation.
- Caroline Choi, Vice President, Energy & Environmental Policy, Southern California Edison
- Mark Ferron, Member, Board of Governors, CAISO; Former Commissioner, CPUC
- David L. Geier, Vice President, Electric Transmission & System Engineering, San Diego Gas & Electric
- Moderator: Rick Thompson, President & Co-Founder, Greentech Media
11:15 a.m.-11:45 a.m. The Future of Rates in a Distributed Energy Market
As distributed energy expands in California, electricity rate structures will take center stage. Tomorrow’s rates should send appropriate price signals to customers while minimizing complexity and protecting lower-income ratepayers. In this session, experts on electricity rates will discuss California’s currently planned rates and where tariffs should head next in order to efficiently maintain distributed energy growth.
- Jamie Fine, Director, Energy Research & Senior Economist, Environmental Defense Fund
- Matthew Freedman, Staff Attorney, The Utility Reform Network (TURN)
- Tom Mercer, Director of Product Management, Opower
- Moderator: Steve Propper, Director, Grid Edge, GTM Research
11:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. DRPs, IDERs, and IRPs: Incorporating Distributed Energy Into Grid Planning
California is in the midst of a variety of proceedings that will help incorporate distributed energy into grid planning and ultimately catalyze further distributed energy growth. This panel will bring those disparate pieces together to provide a cohesive view on California’s progression toward a better link between distributed energy and grid infrastructure.
- Tom Flynn, Storage & DER Policy Manager, California ISO
- Ryan Hanley, Senior Director of Grid Engineering Solutions, SolarCity
- Beth Reid, CEO, Olivine
- Moderator: Jeff St. John, Senior Editor, Greentech Media
1:15 p.m.-1:45 p.m. Fireside Chat
In this fireside chat, the president of the CPUC will discuss his views on California’s various distributed energy regulatory proceedings and where he expects the CPUC to take action to further expand distributed energy’s role in the state’s mix.
- Michael Picker, President, California Public Utilities Commission
- Moderator: Shayle Kann, Senior Vice President, GTM Research
1:45 p.m.-2:30 p.m. Crowdsourced Market Insight: The Next Wave of Distributed Energy in California
In our most popular conference format, this session will take the pulse of California’s distributed energy market by polling the audience. Attendees will vote on a series of questions surrounding the future of distributed energy in California, and a panel of experts will present their own votes while reacting to the crowd.
- Trent Bowers, Chief Commercial Officer & EVP of Sales, Enbala Power Networks
- Elisabeth S. Brinton, Industry Thought Leader
- Tom Starrs, Vice President, Market Strategy & Policy, SunPower Corp.
- Manal Yamout, Vice President of Policy & Markets, Advanced Microgrid Solutions
- Moderator: Shayle Kann, Senior Vice President, GTM Research
2:30 p.m.-3:00 p.m. It’s All About The Data: Access, Security, and the Future of Grid Analytics
The growth of distributed energy is contingent on the increased availability of data from customers, utilities, and third parties. But data access comes with challenges ranging from technical to security concerns. This panel will discuss the data that is and will become available to foster the distributed energy transition, and how to overcome the challenges presented by making this data widely available.
- Larsh Johnson, CTO, Stem
- Ameet Konkar, Senior Director of Strategic Initiatives, Enphase Energy
- Mark Lane, EVP of Demand Response, THG Energy Solutions
- Moderator: Ben Kellison, Director, Grid Research, GTM Research
3:00 p.m.-3:30 p.m. Designing DER Solutions That Customers Want: Tomorrow’s Grid Edge UX
As the California electricity system evolves toward a more distributed landscape, the customer will become increasingly central to the market’s future. But distributed energy is only as valuable as the customer finds it, and DER providers need to focus first on designing solutions that delight their customers. This session will dive into the customer mindset and discuss what the end user really wants out of the distributed energy future.
- Rick Counihan, Head of Energy Regulatory & Government Affairs, Nest
- Farid Dibachi, CEO, JLM Energy
- Asim Hussain, Vice President Marketing & Customer Experience, Bloom Energy
- Moderator: Omar Saadeh, Senior Grid Analyst, GTM Research
4:00 p.m.-4:45 p.m. Financing California’s Distributed Energy Future
Who will provide the capital for the distributed energy future? What types of financing solutions will emerge as the market develops? What challenges will DER providers face as they seek to raise capital to fund their developments?
In this session, a panel of finance providers will discuss these questions and others to help illuminate the ways in which financing will accelerate, or hinder, California’s distributed energy market.
- Edwin Feo, President, Coronal Group LLC
- Stacey Lawson, CEO, Ygrene
- Scott Zimmermann, Associate, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Moderator: Eric Wesoff, Editor-in-Chief, Greentech Media
4:45 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. CDEF Case Studies: A Window Into the Next-Gen DER Landscape
Case Study 1: ActionDR Peak Load Shifting
Presenter: Abhay Gupta, CEO and Founder, Bidgely
Case Study 2: Vehicle-Grid Integration: The World’s First Demand Clearing House
Presenters: Michelle Bogen, Project Associate, Center for Sustainable Energy, and Stephen G. Davis, CEO, KnGrid
Case Study 3: Using AMI to Turn Energy Efficiency Into a DER
Presenter: Matt Golden, CEO, Open Energy Efficiency
Moderator: Steve Propper, Director, Grid Edge, GTM Research
* * *
In addition to exclusive access to GTM event live streams, Squared members receive information on energy markets that they can’t get anywhere else. Click here to learn more and join.
This article was originally featured on greentechmedia.com.